This disease can range from being a mild gingivitis, an inflammation of the gums to severe periodontitis, an inflammation of all the tissues surrounding the teeth including bone.
The signs of gum disease are often:
- Reddened gums – normal colour is pink
- Bleeding gums on brushing
- Swollen gums
- Gingival/gum recession
- Spacing between teeth
- Loose teeth, a very positive sign of advanced gum disease
- Bad breath
Causes of gum disease:
- Bacteria: The type of bacteria present causes a more aggressive form of the disease.
- Smoking: Studies show that this significantly increases the chances of getting gum disease. A heavy smoker is someone who smokes 10 or more cigarettes daily.
- Genetics: Patients who have a family history of tooth loss or patients whose parents are wearing dentures should be more aware and vigilant of their gum condition in order to prevent disease.
Treatment of gum disease:
- Regular air polishing – Possible scaling or deep scaling carried out by our dentists.
- Referral to our trusted specialist periodontists.